Let me tell you about a recent discovery that I’ve been calling “fake ice cream” at home. First of all, let’s get one thing straight, I’m not saying anything bad about real ice cream. It’s undoubtedly one of the most wonderful things in the world. But if dairy makes you feel like throwing up, or if you’re like me and just want big scoops for dinner all the time, it’s probably not amazing to have it every single day. Though temping.
Now, if you are craving an ice creamy delicious dessert but don’t want to setback a diet or workout, OR even better – if you’re lactose intolerant and don’t want to feel like garbage, prepare your mind for blowage. Your key ingredient is frozen bananas.
Aside from bananas being the quarterback of this recipe, there are also many other benefits if you’re still skeptical.
- Bananas have high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin – the happy-maker!
- Bananas before a workout gives you added energy helps keep up blood sugar
- Bananas can help prevent muscle cramps
- They can improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms
- Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6.
- Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas.
- High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
And before I get into, let’s just acknowledge that it goes even further than this ice cream recipe. People are doing a lot of shit to frozen bananas these days. You can make so many treats, who knew! Chocolate bananas, frozen banana yogurt pops, and this thing! But back to the “fake ice cream”.
Take a couple frozen bananas, depending on how much ice cream you want to make. It’s safe to say 2 frozen bananas will give you 2 hefty servings.
Use a food processor to puree the bananas, I use a Magic Bullet which works but takes way longer.
Before you blend, don’t forget to seal it tight. But second-most importantly, this is where you can get creative with flavours! If you don’t feel like adding anything, that’s fine – banana ice cream is delicious on its own. But if you want to mix it up, here are a few ideas.
Cocoa powder = Chocolate
Frozen strawberries = Strawberry (add some extra milk to help break up the added frozen fruit)
Vanilla extract and/or Vanilla protein powder = Vanilla + protein boost
Honey = Also goes good with Vanilla
Cinnamon = Self-explanatory
Cinnamon and nutmeg = Spicier cinnamon
Nut butter = Probably the most delicious, also goes great as an addition to chocolate.
For something even more simple, you can just add chocolate chips to the plain banana mixture to make banana chocolate chip! And of course, these are just ideas – not rules. There are no rules with fake ice cream. And that’s how I like it. You can mix and match whatever flavour additions you want in order to create your own concoction!
This is so easy to make, so delicious and ice cream-like, and it’s healthy! Assuming you don’t go crazy on the chocolate chips, but hey, sometimes you gotta.