Before a naturopath told me my adrenal glands were all wonky, I had no idea what those even were or what they did, I thought she was just making words up. But when I followed her advice and corrected the issues, I noticed huge positive differences.
So basically, your adrenal glands are your stress organs, responsible for producing cortisol, adrenaline and DHEA. Keeping these glands healthy is extremely important for overall hormonal health and balance, and can even be the hidden cause of certain issues. Problems like headaches, digestive upset, PMS, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, even infertility issues. C’hyea.
In turn, stress can rile up other health conditions like arthritis, asthma, allergies and IBS. Your adrenal glands and stress hormones are one of the most neglected systems in conventional medicine! And yet simply addressing adrenal related issues can have a huge effect on your wellbeing.
If you’re like me and have no idea whether or not you need some adrenal support, skim through this list. If you say yes for 3 or more of the following (regularly), you probably want to look into your adrenal glands more carefully.
- Chronic pain of any type (including migraines, joint pains, etc)
- Anxiety / panic attacks
- Emotional stress (work, relationship, family, public transit, etc)
- Feeling tired or exhausted that isn’t relieved by more sleep
- Sensitivity to light
- Dizziness from standing up too quickly
- Low tolerance for stress (stressing out over little things)
- Worsened allergies
- Weight gain in the mid-belly area
- High blood pressure / heart palpitations
- Difficulty falling and/or staying asleep at night
- Salt cravings
- Achy or twitchy legsIf you’re a lady:
- Any change in menstrual cycle
- Chronic menstrual pain
- Symptoms of premature menopause
The test is just done with spit, so it’s a little gross but easy. You can ask any naturopath about it, and it will tell you if your symptoms are related to the adrenals. Your personal diagnosis will vary, obviously, but will probably include:
- Changes in nutrition
- Stress reducing techniques like yoga, whatever works for you
- Balanced exercise – this goes either way, you may need to ease up or you may need to start moving
- Supplements to support adrenal function
Healthy adrenals mean more energy and more happy moods! Imbalances are very treatable, making a huge difference. So check your shit out.